1. Criteria of Eligibility and Restrictions
The competition is opened to students and professionals.
There is no age limit; the projects may be carried out be individually or in groups, with no restriction on the number of members of the team.
The following will not be eligible to take part in the competition:
- Any individual or organization related to the promoting organization, such as members of the advisory committee or sponsored researchers, and anyone professionally associated with the promoter;
- Members of the Competition Jury and organizing Staff, or any person to whom a member of the jury acts as director, supervisor or adviser;
- Any person directly or indirectly involved in the summary of the Competition.
2. Free Registration
No fee or other payment will be required of those entering the competition. Please REGISTER HERE
The three teams leaders will receive cash prizes, and a one-year grant to take the Master in Advanced Architecture at IAAC and research in greater depth the manufacture of self-sufficient architecture
All of the projects selected will be featured in a special book produced in conjunction with the Actar-Birkhauser publishing house like in the four previous editions.
- 1st Prize: 3,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 14.750,00 €)
- 2nd Prize: 2,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 14.750,00 €)
- 3rd Prize: 1,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 14.750,00 €)
People's Choice Award:
In parallel to the 5th Advanced Architecture Contest, the Institute for advanced architecture of Catalonia (IaaC) and Hewlett-Packard are also running the international People's Choice Award.
Submissions will be displayed online to be viewed and voted on by the public. The most popular image will win an HP Printer.
Exhibition and Book:
The selected projects will go on show in a major exhibition, due to open in Barcelona in May 2014.
The best projects will also be featured in a book to be published ACTAR publishing house like in the four previous editions:
4. Topic: SELF-SUFFICIENT HABITAT
The programme challenges the participants to design one of these 2 options:
- Self-sufficient building
- Self-sufficient city
The participants will be free to decide on the size and location of the Project, which must be clearly detailed and justified.
Any time projection short (10 years), medium (50 years) or long-term within the duration of the 21st century is allowed.
5. Documents and Graphic Materials Required
Written Description Define a list of key concepts and exemplify your ideas by designing a specific building or city, or proposing changes for an existing building or city.
Graphic description Site plans, floor plans, elevations, sections, perspective drawings, photographs of physical or digital models and axonometric drawings at any scale and descriptive texts explaining the project are allowed. The descriptive texts must be in English.
The proposals should be presented on three (3) DIN A-3 panels and comply with the following format:
- Each panel will be presented in PDF format. The size of each file must not exceed 1MB
- The same panels will also be presented in a JPG 1280px by 960px format. The size of each file will not have to exceed 500 KB.
Video (optionary): You have the option to submit a 1 minute (maximun) video to explain in, a few words, the key concepts of your proposal. Please use English subtitles even if you are speaking English. (It is not mandatory to speak in the video, you may also use text, images, animation etc). Place your ID code at the bottom right of the video. You will find this ID code by logging in to your account. To submit the video: First upload the video to YouTube, then login in to your competition profile page and paste the YouTube link to the video section of the submission.
No physical materials will be accepted. All the proposals must without exception be in digital form and uploaded one by one in the following website: advancedarchitecturecontest.org
The proposals must without exception be drafted in English.
7. Submission of Proposals
It is allowed to upload your panels and edit them until September 30th 2013; 5:00 pm (GMT) at the competition web site